Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Mystery of Irma Vep

An interesting send-up of Victorian Parlor dramas now playing at Court Theatre in Hyde Park. Performed as a two-man play with a cast of characters ranging from a maid, groundskeeper, Lord and Lady of the manor and a couple of others (who shall necessarily remain undisclosed). Certainly better than most of the works in last year's Goodman Theatre season. Lots of yuks, great costumes and set, sound and light design. Quite a bit of humor directed at the grownups in the crowd. Much scenery chewing by both actors along with rapid-fire costume and character changes throughout. I will reveal nothing of the plot, other than to tell you that the subject matter should appeal to many current pop-culture fans.
See it if you can.

5 comments:

  1. Still the man about town I see. You must pardon my ignorance, but I have to ask what the phrase "scenery chewing" means. You have to remember I haven't been on a stage, theater that is, since 1980. That expression is a new one on me. Being an old dog I like to learn new things and am no longer embarrassed by my being clueless.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liken the phrase to wild onstage antics, sometimes great acting, occasionally over-the-top performances and often just plain hammy overacting. These guys pulled it off admirably, teetering among all of the above mentioned attributes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. was this a sort of " Jane Austin " thing? Or did it have more more modern connotations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only if ol' Janey had watched "Rocky Horror" repeatedly. The style was rooted in the past, but the humor was quite a bit more contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The theatre is over run with drag queens... call in the co-ordinates.

    ReplyDelete